SLIM is a well-established international congress for presenting current developments, trends and future applications on the shelf life of packaged foodstuff, which has been previously held in countries of Europe, Asia and North America, bringing together academia and industry actors.
The aim of SLIM is to be an international forum to share the most recent knowledge related to food shelf life. The 10th edition will focus on shelf life assessment, prediction and extension by applying new, safe and sustainable materials and technologies.
The congress will be hosted by the Institute of Food Science and Technology (ICTA) and the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences of Universidad Nacional de Colombia (Bogotá), in collaboration with the Italian Scientific Group of Food Packaging (GSICA) and Universidad de La Salle.
The topics will be presented and discussed in plenary and invited research lectures by internationally recognized keynote speakers, followed by brief research presentation and posters.
X SLIM 2022 invites the community to submit contributions dealing with research works and industrial significant experiences in the topics of the event, structured in the following sessions:
- Session 1: New Technologies for Shelf Life Extension
- Session 2: New Materials for Shelf Life Extension
- Session 3: Shelf Life Assessment and Prediction
- Session 4: Sustainability and Shelf Life
- Session 5: Packaging Materials and Safety Issues
The congress is being organized by the National University of Colombia, in agreement with La Salle University. The academic agenda will be carried out at the Chapinero Campus of La Salle University, located in one of the most central areas of the city, with access to sites of tourist interest and a wide range of hotels and restaurants.
Address: Cra. 4a #59a – 44, Localidad de Chapinero, Bogotá
More info here: 10° Shelf Life International Meeting Bogotá, Colombia X SLIM 202 (gsica.net)
Proceedings & Best Poster Award
All the accepted contributions will be included in the Book of Abstracts, available in digital and printed versions for the registered participants.
The best works will be selected by the committee to be part of a Special Issue in the high impact journal Food Packaging and Shelf Life (Elsevier) (Impact Factor 8,749, ranking 10th out of 143 in Food Science & Technology) dedicated to X SLIM 2022, after a peer review process.
The Scientific Committee will choose the best work presented as a Poster, which will receive a special recognition and an honorable mention at the closing of the event.
Internationally recognized speakers, leaders in their field will be presenting their latest scientific contributions in the field of food packaging and shelf life. To date the confirmed invited keynote speakers are:
Dr. Fabio Licciardello. Department of Life Sciences, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy.
Dr. Luciano Piergiovanni. GSICA / Department of Food, Evironmental and Nutritional Sciences, University of Milan, Italy.
Dr. Eva Almenar is a professor at the School of Packaging, Michigan State University, USA.
Department of Food, Environmental and Nutritional Sciences – Università degli Studi di Milano
Full Professor of Food Science and Technology at University of Milano since 2000, he is author of numerous publications and books and, overall, of ground-breaking research in the field of Food packaging science and technology.
He was a member of the Board of Directors of the Italian Packaging Institute from 1989 to 1991 and vice president in 1985/86. He coordinated the Subcommittee UNI “Food Conditioning from 1989 to 1999, he was President of the Agri-Food Commission (CAAL) from 2011 to 2018. He was treasurer and vice president of the Italian Food Technology Association until 2000, from the 2000 to 2010 he was an Auditor of the Association. He has coordinated Research Units related to the themes of Food Packaging both in national and international projects. Since 1999 he has been the President of the Italian Scientific Group for Food Packaging (GSICA). For 6 years he was president of the Didactic Coordination Council of “Food Science and Technology” at the Faculty of Agriculture of Milan and for 6 Coordinator of the PhD Course in “Food Biotechnology. From 2011 to 2012 he was Director of the Department of Food and Microbiological Sciences and Technologies.
In the last 5 years he has been: Coordinator of the Research Unit in the Tuscany Region project “INTRAVIVA, Creation of added value for the regional sector of ornamental plants, through the introduction of technological and process innovations in the postproduction phase of packaging and TRAsporto of VIVAistici products” (2018 – 2020); Coordinator of Research Units in the project of the Lombardy Region “NANOCRYSTALPACK, Obtained crystals of nanocellulose from plant biomasses and by-products of the paper industry, their possible functional modification and use as coatings and functional additives of food packaging materials for advanced performance and greater sustainability “(2017-2019); Coordinator of Research Units in the Horizon 2020 project “BIOCOMPLACK, Eco-friendly food packaging with enhanced barrier properties” (2016-2019); National Coordinator of the PRIN 2012 project of the Ministry of University, Education and Research “LONG LIFE, HIGH SUSTAINABILITY” (2014-2017).
He teaches in the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences: Packaging Technology and Logistics since 1984; Food Quality and Safety (for Biotechnologists) from 2014; Sustainability of food production and distribution systems since 2015. He taught Logistics and Packaging at the University of Gastronomic Sciences of Pollenzo (CN) from 2008 to 2015, at the National Universities of São Paulo (Brazil) in the years 1990 and 1995 and of Santafè of Bogotà (Colombia) in the years 1986 and 1995. Since 2013 he is Visiting Professor of Tianjin University of Science and Technology – TUST, China.
Fabio Licciardello is Associate Professor at the Department of Life Science of the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia (Italy). He built his carrer at the University of Catania (Italy), where he achieved his master degree and PhD in Food Science and Technology, and as a visiting researcher at the University of Zaragoza (Spain) and at the Fraunhofer Institute for Process Engineering and Packaging (Germany).
His research focuses on: shelf life studies of foods, development and characterization of biobased and biodegradable films and coatings, optimization of packaging systems, evaluation of innovative preservation and stabilization techniques, study of food/packaging interactions.
He has contributed as a speaker and invited speaker at several national and international conferences, he has been member of the Scientific committee of the 8th and 9th SLIM edition, author and co-author of 73 publications (>1400 citations, h-index: 22) on Scopus-indexed journals, and referee for many Q1 scientific journals in the Food Science category.
Since 2015 he has been vice-president of the Italian Scientific Group for Food Packaging (GSICA). Since 2019 he has been Editorial Board member of the journal Food Packaging and Shelf Life (Elsevier).
Dr. Eva Almenar is a professor at the School of Packaging, Michigan State University (https://www.canr.msu.edu/almenar/research-team/) with over 15 years of experience in developing and validating novel packaging in order to prolong the shelf life of food. Her research experience includes:
(1) Extension of the shelf life of food using varied packaging technologies including modified atmosphere packaging, active packaging, and edible films.
(2) Development and validation of packaging alternatives/concepts for food using both bio-based and petroleum-based plastics packaging materials.
(3) Formulation and processing of new packaging materials made from renewable feedstock including agrowaste and their commercial applications including characterization and validation.
(4) Studies of physicochemical, microbiological and sensorial changes caused by product/package interactions.
(5) Evaluation of consumer and industry attitudes toward packaged food and packaging formats.
(6) E-commerce food packaging.
Carlos Alberto Fuenmayor has a B.S. (2006) and a M.Sc. (2010) in chemical engineering of the Universidad Nacional de Colombia, and Ph.D. of the School of Food Science, Technology and Biotechnology of the University of Milan (2014). He is currently Associate Professor and head of the Laboratory of Food Physicochemical Analysis of the Institute of Food Science and Technology, Universidad Nacional de Colombia. He was Professor at the Faculty of Nutrition of Universidad del Atlántico (Colombia), and spent research periods at the University of Bozen (Italia), Universidad Politécnica de Valencia (Spain), and University of Milan (Italia). He is the author of more than 40 research articles and book chapters. His main interests are the development and use of nanomaterials in food packaging applications, food analytical chemistry, in particular electroanalytical chemistry and spectroscopy, and the study of Colombian autochthonous food matrices.
Carlos Zuluaga Domínguez received his professional degree in Chemical Engineering in 2006, his Master’s degree in Food Science and Technology in 2010 and his Doctor of Engineering degree in 2016, at the National University of Colombia. He currently works as a professor at the Department of Rural and Agrifood Development, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, of the National University of Colombia, in Bogotá, since November 2017. His research interests involve the determination of bioactive compounds in food, quality assurance of hive products, chemometrics, instrumental sensory analysis, as well as the processing of agri-food raw materials. Both his Master’s and Doctorate thesis received meritorious distinctions thanks to the contribution of these works to the management, conservation and transformation of hive products for use as food. He has been designated as a Senior Researcher by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation of Colombia (Minciencias) since 2021. He has published more than 40 technical documents including articles, papers, books and book chapters.
Professor of the Area of Food Packaging and Shelf Life in the Institute of Food Science and Technology, National University of Colombia – Bogota. Chemical Engineer, Master in Food Science and Technology, and Ph.D. in Engineering of the National University of Colombia. Former Postdoctoral Fellow of the Ministry of Science, Technology, and Innovation of Colombia. Research stays in Agrosavia (Mosquera, Colombia) and the IATA-CSIC (Valencia, Spain). Former professor of Food Engineering in Uniagraria (Bogotá, Colombia) and of Chemical Engineering in the University of the Salle (Bogotá, Colombia). Research interests in the configuration and development of food packaging and preservation systems through the use of mathematical and experimental modeling and simulation and determination and prediction of shelf life. Several granted and funded projects by the public sector and private companies on food packaging and storage issues.
Doctor in Agroengineering, Master in Agroengineering with emphasis on process automation from the Polytechnic University of Madrid (Spain); Specialist in administration and management in quality systems, ICONTEC – Santo Tomas University, and Food Engineer from the University of La Salle. She has 15 years of experience in companies in the food sector and in universities in Colombia and abroad, having occupied administrative, research and teaching positions. Her work is focused on innovation, process and resource management, integration of methodologies and proposals in projects that determine business growth. She has experience in research applied to the external sector (companies and communities) with proposals that guarantee the efficient use of resources, research management and knowledge of national and international policies and platforms for Science, Technology and Innovation.
Associate Professor of Institute of Food Science and Technology – National University of Colombia. Hi is Doctor and M.Sc. in Food Science of the Federal University of Santa Catarina (Brasil). His work focuses on the use of biocomponents with biological activity for the biopreservation of food, as substitutes for synthetic preservatives, application of bacteriocins as biopreservatives in meat products, aquaculture and dairy through edible coatings, design of micro and nano encapsulates of propolis in edible films and coatings in meat, meat derivatives and aquaculture products, and the preparation of edible films and coatings with the addition of polymers obtained from alternative matrices for the biopreservation of food.
Amanda Consuelo Díaz Moreno, Food Engineer. PhD in Food Quality, Safety and Technology. She is an Associate Professor at the Institute of Food Science and Technology – National University of Colombia. Her work focuses on: characterization, extraction and application of bioactive compounds from plant matrices as natural ingredients in the formulation of food and packaging with functional characteristics; use and transformation of molecules with functional qualities obtained from hive products; design and evaluation of edible films and coatings with alternative matrices for the preservation of fresh products during post-harvest and minimally processed products.
Food Engineer from Universidad de La Salle, Bogotá, he has dedicated more than 15 years of research on the role of packaging in food preservation. His research in the field has contributed to the use of more suitable containers and packaging systems for perishable and non-perishable foods, but with a high impact on the country’s economy. The knowledge of it focuses on the contribution of compliance with SDG # 12, numeral 12.3 “Reduction of food losses and waste” where the container plays a fundamental role for it. Theses, scientific articles, congresses, forums, seminars, among others, support the investigative work.
X SLIM 2022 is organized by a team that includes the chairs of SLIM, the members of the Local Organizing Committee, and the President of GSICA:
Dr. Carlos Alberto Fuenmayor. Chair of the congress. ICTA, Universidad Nacional de Colombia.
Dr. Carlos Mario Zuluaga. Chair of the congress. Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Universidad Nacional de Colombia.
Dr. Diego Alberto Castellanos. Chair of the congress. ICTA, Universidad Nacional de Colombia.
Dr. Heidi Tatiana Jiménez Ariza. Chair of the congress. Universidad de La Salle, Colombia.
Dr. Amanda Consuelo Díaz. Local Organizing Committee. ICTA, Universidad Nacional de Colombia.
Dr. Ismael Povea Garcerant. Local Organizing Committee. Universidad de La Salle, Colombia.
Dr. Héctor Suárez Mahecha. Local Organizing Committee. ICTA, Universidad Nacional de Colombia.
Dr. Luciano Piergiovanni. President of GSICA.
The scientific committee of X SLIM 2022 is composed by international leading scientists and experts of the field in each one of the topics of the event
- Carlos Alberto Fuenmayor. National University of Colombia
- Diego Alberto Castellanos. National University of Colombia
- Carlos Mario Zuluaga. National University of Colombia
- Ismael Enrique Povea Garcerant. University of Salle
- Amanda Consuelo Díaz Moreno. National University of Colombia
- Héctor Suárez Mahecha. National University of Colombia
- Luis Felipe Gutiérrez Álvarez. National University of Colombia
- Coralia Osorio Roa. National University of Colombia
- María Soledad Hernández Gómez. National University of Colombia
- Niyireth Alicia Porras Holguín. University of Los Andes
- Ana Karina Carrascal Camacho. Pontifical Xavierian University
- Sasitorn Tongchitpakdee. Kasetsart University
- Fabian Leonardo Jaimes P. Team Foods
- Viviane Patrícia Romani. State University of Midwest
- Rodrigo Ortega Toro. University of Cartagena
- Édgar Pérez Esteve. Polytechnic University of Valencia
- Martha Cuenca Quicazán. University of Cartagena
- Dong Sun Lee, Kyungnam Univiversity of South Korea
- Glaehter Yhon Florez Guzmán. National University of Colombia
- César Augusto Sierra Ávila. National University of Colombia
- Jairo Ernesto Perilla Perilla. National University of Colombia
- José Fernando Solanilla Duque. University of Cauca
- María Hernández Carrión. University of Los Andes
- Misael Cortés Rodríguez. National University of Colombia
- José Igor Hleap Zapata. National University of Colombia
- Luis Eduardo Ordóñez Santos. National University of Colombia
- Francisco Javier Castellanos Galeano. University of Caldas
- Martha Cecilia Quicazán. National University of Colombia
- Leidy Marcela Montoya Devia. Pontifical Xavierian University
- Loong-Tak Lim. University of Guelph
- Carmen Adriana Campos. Universidad de Buenos Aires
- Diego Felipe Tirado Armesto. National University of Colombia
- Marco Mason Mason. National Open and Remote University, Colombia
- Ibeth Rodríguez González. National Open and Remote University, Colombia
- Ruth Mary Benavidez Guevara. National Open and Remote University, Colombia
- Giovanna Giuliana Buonocore. Institute of Polymers, Composites and Biomaterials (IPCB) –National Research Council, Naples
- Fabio Licciardello. University of Modena and Reggio Emilia
- María Consolación Cristina Nerín De La Puerta. University of Zaragoza
- Luciano Pergiovanni. University of Milano
- Elena Torrieri. University of Naples
- Kit L. Yam. Rutgers University
- Soraya Sánchez Ballester. ITENE Technology Center
- Fabián Rico Rodríguez. University of Cartagena
- Alex López Córdoba. Universidad Pedagógica y Tecnológica de Colombia
- Claudia Estella Hernández Londoño. Universidad de Cartagena
- Diego Felipe Tirado Armesto. Universidad Nacional de Colombia
- Claudia Estella Hernández Londoño. University of Cartagena
- Carla Ivonne La Fuente Arias. University of São Paulo
- Virginia Muriel. Division R&D Manager Division R&D Manager
- María Amparo Chiralt Boix. Polytechnic University of Valencia
- Amalia Conte. University of Foggia
- Maria Cristina Nicoli. University of Udine
- Matteo Alessandro Del Nobile. University of Foggia
- Sara Limbo. University of Milano
- Leidy Marcela Montoya Devia. Pontifical Xaverian University, Cali
- Felipe Salcedo Galan. University of Andes
- Vilásia G. Martins. Federal University of Rio Grande
- Ricardo Stefani. Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso
- Germán Ayala Valencia. Federal University of Santa Catarina
- Caio Gomide Otoni. Federal University of São Carlos
- Paulo José do Amaral Sobral. University of São Paulo
- Liliana Serna Cock. National University of Colombia
- Katiushka Arévalo Niño. Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León
Registration & Abstract Submission
The registration is sold out; no new registrations are possible. Thank you very much!
Discover the location
Find relevant information of the city and the venue, travel tips, useful links, and accommodation recommendations.